[pct-l] Base pack weight

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:59:54 CST 2007

Hi Chris

This year I'm shooting for a sub 5 lb average from Mexico to Canada, warm,
safe, fed and dry.

Disclaimer:
I highly advise anyone against trying a 5 lb. average.  I would be much,
much more safe at six..  Safety (and comfort) become a huge issue,
especially if you are not very, very familiar with your system, the trail,
and all the possibilities along the trail.  The #1 issue is unpredictable
severe weather everywhere, especially in the Sierras and late season in
Washington.   In 2005 I finally learned that I knew very little.  Although
I've spent a lot of time, especially the last two months, 30-40 hours a
week, learning and practicing safety methods from those with more knowledge
and skills in those areas.  Still I haven't acquired the common sense not to
do this.  I'm no great mountain man, I'm just a guy with an unsafe dream.

Miligram Obsessed and not too Bright

Warner Springs Monty