[pct-l] cost of through hiking

Junaid Dawud jdawud at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 21:05:26 CDT 2007

Paul,

About $4000-5000.  There are sources which tell you
'as little as a dollar a mile'.  I will venture a
guess that these people probably spent more than this,
and simply didn't take some things into account.
Think of it terms of at least $100 per town stop, up
to $500 on replacement gear, and $1000 for mailing
costs and incidentals (some towns you may spend more
than $100, doctors visit perhaps, etc).  As a general
rule, I will make sure (in the future) to have at
least $5000 in the bank, and all of my gear purchased
before I start a thru hike attempt.  In 2006 I ran out
of my own money rather quickly and had to start
borrowing from family and friends.  There were times I
almost got off trail because of it.  Towards the end
of OR and in WA, I couldn't have stayed on trail with
out help from Alon.

Make sure you have more money than you think you'll
actually need.

---------Speshul41