[pct-l] North out of Kennedy Meadows

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Tue Jun 26 00:16:25 CDT 2007

I don't remember too much about exposure. It is not heavily shaded.
However, there are not a lot of water sources. Read the guidebook
carefully. In a year like this, there may very well be some of the
sources that are dry. My first time in that area (a number of years
ago), we headed north from Kennedy on a July 4th weekend and turned
around shortly after the trail east to Olancha Pass because it was
hot and some of the sources were dry. People coming south were not
encouraging. On my next trip, it was actually later in a wetter year
and I walked from Trail Pass south to Kennedy and the sources in the
book were all in good shape, but there were no others. Bottom line is
to plan well. Find out what you can find advance and from hikers that
you meet and carry enough to get to the next known source. I know it
sounds like motherhood and apple pie, but it is important in this
stretch and this does not get much publicity because it is not desert
like further south.

Pieces