[pct-l] Big Rocks

Bighummel bighummel at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 13:27:25 CDT 2007

In '77 the PCT wound up Whitewater Canyon in the San Gorgonio Pass area.

Hot day, no shade, a trail angel (in the days that they didn't even know the trail existed or that they were, in fact, angels) offered shade and a break from the heat in her adobe home, fresh strawberries and cold milk.

I was there this weekend looking to buy a boulder at the Whitewater Rock company.  Any rock hounds out there have to check this place out.  If you have ever stood at the base of Devil's Postpile in awe and said, "Wow, wouldn't it be cool to have those in my backyard", well, now you can!  They actually have columnal basal up to 30 feet or more tall . . . for sale!  I didn't ask the price but I would wager they want a lot for these.  Oh, and they water drilled a few down the center to make flag pole holders or waterfalls!

Geologist's dreams  . . .

Greg