[pct-l] Global Cooling

Junaid Dawud jdawud at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 01:15:55 CDT 2007

Global cooling (which interestingly enough I watched a
documentary on while in Wrightwood last year), has at
best, helped to mitigate some of the warming that
incresing CO2 levels is causing.  The 'global cooling
effect' is mostly due to particulates (pollution), and
as many of the sources of this pollutin have been
decreasing, its counteracting effects on global
warming have also been diminishing.  Its kind of a sad
irony that as we clean up our air, it allows global
warming to speed up.  On the other hand, reductions in
air pollutants and the quite successful phasing out of
CFCs (which hurt the ozone, an entirely different
issue) provides proof that large scale changes in
societal behaviors that impact the environment is not
just possible, but historically documented.  If you
think of the counteracting forces of global warming
(due to GH gases) and global cooling (due to air
pollutants) as a 'tug of war', Global Warming is still
'winning'.

---------Speshul 41