[pct-l] Trip information

matt maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Wed Jun 20 09:34:08 CDT 2007

Ed
In addition to the Guide Book maps, I'd have Forest Service Visitors
Map, or some other  wide area  general map.

http://plicmapcenter.org/CA/

Toiyabe
Eldorado
Stanislaus

I find these useful to help locate distant landmarks and get a feel for
the lay of the land. The also are helpful in locating your self if you
some how get off the trail , or need to get off  the  trail for some reason.

If you have a GPS I can provide waypoints for the PCT in this area.

Another book many use is the PCT DATABOOK. I have been told some use it
exclusively, I wouldn't. I do have one and use it.

I don't think going into the mountains without a map and compass is
wise. It certainly is a matter of choice, but since you are responsible
for these youngsters my recommendation would be to bring it and show
them how to use it.

Also navigating in the mountains is not a "sight and go" kind of thing,
nor is the strategy  of following a canyon to civilization , descending
a canyon without knowing what's there could be a grave mistake. You must
know what lays in your path and how to get around it safely.

IMO the Katadyn Combi alone isn't big enough for 4 people, you might
want to try using it to filter the water you'll need each day with it
before you commit  to doing it.

I have a MSR sweetwater which I find ok for 1 person but 4 would be a drag

The Katadyn Base Camp, would be a good supplement  to the combi  as it
requires no pumping. Just a thought...  pumping 12 - 16  liters  daily
with the combi will be a chore. The Base Camp puts gravity to work for you

http://www.katadyn.us/brands-products/katadyn/katadyn-filters-and-purifiers/backcountry-series/katadyn-base-camp.html

Trail90
"So many canyons... So little time"