[pct-l] oregon snow conditions

Doug Musso dougmusso at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 18:41:52 CDT 2007

for Rob:
I just returned from  from Oregon as support van driver for 3 experienced
hikers. The following observations:
June 4,5 difficult to drive to cal-ore trail crossing snow covered roads 8'
deep drifts in shaded areas. Try applegate area roads. light snowing during
2day hike to I-5.trail in good condition and free of standing  snow.
June 6 attempted hiking northward from fish lake. deep snow totally
obscuring trail on mt mclaughlin. needed GPS to follow unseeable trail
entire hike. turned back for safety concerns. Do you trust a GPS for your
navigation in heavy forrest over miles of deep snow?
June 7 drove to Crater lake. North entrance closed to heavy snow. Rim trail
closed and covered with many feet of solid snow. gorgeous scene actually. we
drove to Windigo pass Stopped about 3 miles from road summit by standing
water on road from snow melt.
June 8: hiked to Summit lake on a clear sky day. walking on top of solid
snow most of the day. PCT covered by snow most of the way needed Gps to know
where to go especially in deep woods with no ground visible.
June 9: Summit lake to hyw58 on stormy day. On deep snow most of day. clouds
and snowing blocking view of landmarks and trail most of the way.
June 10: took day off trail due to weather.
June 11: hyw 58 towards Charlton Lake: nice weather and pleasant non-snow
trail leaving valley. Encountered lots of deep snow in heavy woods bailed
out over to Waldo Lake Road. Went to soak in hot springs.
The consensus of the hikers was  that the safety issue of hiking with no
trail visible and the threat of bad weather occluding landmarks made the
dependence upon a GPS unit too risky. The hikers opted to hike at lower
elevations near the coast for a few weeks and check with NFS for snow levels
to change before returning to the PCT. Hope this info is useful.