[pct-l] the Solitude Log - anyone?

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Jun 14 14:32:31 CDT 2007

Jon,

While I don't disagree with your statements, loving the wilderness does simply come naturally to people who have never spent time in it.  In fact, most people who don't spend time in the wilderness have an inherent fear of it and the perceived dangers within it.  One only has to listen to the non-venturer's questions, such as "you mean, you went alone?", or "did you carry a gun?", or the litany of questions about bears, big cats, and snakes, believing that the threat of imminent death lurks behind every rock.

Ignorance of the wonders of the wilderness and exclusion from enjoying it will do nothing to encourage protection and preservation efforts.  If it means nothing to people, or worse, they're both ignorant and afraid of it, there will be no outcry or attempt to defend it when threats arise, and the threats today are many.

I don't know where the balance is.  It would be handy if there was some sort of entry test to ensure that those who do venture into the wilderness would tread lightly upon and revere it, but alas, that's not the case even among all PCT thru-hikers.

L-Rod