[pct-l] Steven's Pass snow levels..........6.11.07

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Jun 13 10:02:47 CDT 2007

I found out the hard way that trying to assess higher altitude snow from
"down below" just by looking at what seem to be pretty dry hills can be
perilous.  I came back yesterday with tail between my legs from a failed
attempt at a 100 & some mile shakedown hike after losing the trail too often
and essentially bushwhacking over inconsistent snow and lots of downed logs
and bushes and too many back-and-forth creek crossings ... this started
around 3600', and the high point of my planned trip was about 6000'.

The frustrating part was coming back down and looking again to confirm that
the part of my planned route that I could see below was completely snow
free.  This was all well south of Steven's Pass, maybe 15 miles as the crow
flies SE of Snoqualmie Pass.

Oh well, maybe in another couple of weeks ...  I sure hope the Sierras next
year won't be like yesterday's experience!

	Brian Lewis