[pct-l] water report -- section F

moon dancer idmoondancer at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 10:35:28 CDT 2007

Cap'n Jack and Moondancer hiked California Section F during 3-9 June 2007.  Here is our report on the water we found (and didn't find)...

  4 June
  Golden Oaks Spring:  running well at 45 sec/quart.

  5 June
  Robin Bird Spring:  running well at 15 sec/quart

  all branches of Cottonwood Creek -- dry

  6 June
  "concrete dam of spring uphill from PCT"  -- spring not flowing.  Plenty of water has been captured by the dam, but it is full of insects.

  Landers Creek -- dry

  Landers Camp fire tank -- running well at 5 sec/quart

  cache at Kelso Valley Road -- well stocked

  7 June
  Willow Spring -- large pond clearly visible from from PCT

  cache at Bird Spring Pass -- well stocked

  8 June
  about one minute before (i.e., south of) the road/trail to Yellow Jacket Spring, there is a water cache (approx 25 gallons) left by PCTA.

  9 June
  McIvers Spring is reportedly iffy with slow flow perhaps only in the morning, with the flow decreasing to perhaps zero with the heat of the day.  We suggest carrying water from Bird Spring Pass cache to Walker Pass (20 miles).

  Walker Pass -- Campground water still off.  Small water cache (approx 10 gallons) 100 yards up trail from Hwy. 178 on left at the trail register.