[pct-l] Insulin on the Trail

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 21:15:57 CDT 2007

_taurodea at gmail.com_ (mailto:taurodea at gmail.com)  writes: Someone  emailed me
the other day and mentioned they wanted to hike the PCT but did not  know how
they'd ever do it since they needed regular insulin shots. Are there
diabetic PCT hikers here who could offer me some advice to email her  with?
I take three shot in the stomach  each day of two types of insulin.  One is
the normal insulin and the other  is the faster acting insulin.  I was told
that my insulin would last about  30 days outside of refrigeration.  So, for my
hikes I have no problem with  my diabetic kit and the insulin bottles.  I keep
my supply normally in my  small refrigerator in my exercise room.  I find that
it is not a big  problem checking my blood sugar level and taking shots out
on the trail.   Of course, others might find it a bigger issue ........ HYOH.

Cheers, Switchback the  Sweetie