[pct-l] Hiking with diabetes

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Tue Jun 5 11:08:46 CDT 2007

Stephanie,
I did the AT in '78-'79 while doing my 2 shots a day of insulin and had no
diabetes-related problems, though that was before the days of home (or
trail) glucose testing. I managed 265 miles of my planned PCT thru-hike this
year before having to end the hike due to major blisters all over my feet
despite time off to heal, 2 trips to podiatrist, different socks, different
shoes, etc. I've been using an insulin pump for the past 21 years, which
allows much greater flexibility as well as requiring the carrying of more
equipment (in case of pump failure), and had no diabetes problems on this
hike, still intend to try again another year to complete my thru-hike. All I
do is carry my insulin vials in a little styrofoam box in the approximate
middle of my pack to protect them from some of the temperature extremes. If
it's really cold at night I might put the box inside my sleeping bag with
me, and I try to keep my pack out of the direct sun when I stop. I've never
had any indication of my insulin being adversely affected by the heat or
cold. I've had more trouble with my glucose meter not working when the
temperature is either too hot or too cold, but just carrying the meter in my
pants pocket generally keeps it from being too cold to operate, and putting
the meter in the shade for a few minutes has cooled it enough to work. You
or the diabetic with hiking questions are welcome to email me off-list to
discuss further if you want.

Janet

 Message: 16