[pct-l] Water report: Walker Pass, etc.

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 4 12:38:04 CDT 2007

I was at Walker Pass last Wednesday through Friday; about 15 hikers
came through during that time.  The water was not on at the
campground, so I brought up several gallons from town.  Today I
emailed the BLM unit responsible for Walker Pass Campground,
requesting that they consider refilling the tank pretty soon, as
about 40 hikers are enroute at various points from Aqua Dulce to
Tehachapi.  Their reply:  "Thank you for sharing the information with
us.  We have some work and testing to do on the water system at
Walker Pass and will not be able to get to that until probably this
fall.  I apologize for the inconvenience to
hikers and campers."  However, there is ample water at the spring a
short distance down the road.  Many hikers leave the trail there to
resupply anyway, so can get town water.

On my way back home, having learned from hikers that the water was
still not on at Cottonwood Bridge at the aqueduct, I picked up 25
gallons in Mojave and drove it out there.  Twenty hikers under the
bridge were glad to have it, as what little was left in the water
cache there was badly discolored.  Bob Mayon was going to go back out
this past Saturday with more water.  There is no water running
through the aqueduct, thus no water at the faucet or spillway.

Saw Mary Barcik at the post office in Onyx.  Between Cookie Monster,
Mary Barcik, and myself, there is a large cache of water at Bird
Spring and Kelso Valley Road.  Cookie Monster also had left 70
gallons at a location between Landers and Kelso, I don't know the
milepoint, but hikers were VERY grateful.

Two Legs