[pct-l] How to fish in the Sierra on a long hike.

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 09:59:49 CDT 2007

1. Leave the rod and reel home. Use a handline from http://www.streamlines.com/.
  2. Use a very light 2# leader (rod & reel fishermen use 2# line)
  3. Usa a gold Kastmaster 1/8 -3/16 oz. or a fly like a green mosquito on a bubble (bubble 4-6' above fly)
  4-Use a Bakepacker to cook the fish

  You will be catching Golden Trout in Lake South America, Palisades Lakes and a few other places and Brookies most other places. They will be small 6-8" and VERY tasty. The fish are not selective. The two above lures will catch fish 80% of the time. If you learn to cook fish in a BakePacker you will save much weight. Try it at home first.

  Regards,

  Tom Reynolds
Monica Varsanyi <Monica.Varsanyi at asu.edu> wrote:
  Hi folks,

My husband and I are starting a SOBO JMT thruhike in mid-July, and he is
interested in fishing along the way. He asked me to ask the list a few
things: (1) have folks had success with fishing in the Sierras? (2)
what sort of tackle has worked? We're going pretty lightweight, so...
(3) any permits required? And so forth...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We'll fry a fish in your
honor!

Cheers,

Ponch

unsubscribe or change options: