[pct-l] Books and Fantasy

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 14:51:55 CDT 2007

A comment on a couple of recent book questions:

First in response to J J:
>  From: Jim Keener <jlkeener at yahoo.com>
>  Subject: [pct-l] OT Books About Hiking and
>  Backpacking in Washington State
>
>  Greetings,

>  Friends, whom I met at mile 627 in 2004, have
>  moved to Vancouver, Washington. I want to get them
>  a book about trails in their new state and am
>  looking for ideas.
>
>  Walk well,
>  J J

Probably the most popular hiking book in the greater
Portland region is: 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon &
Southwest Washington  by William L. Sullivan.
Sullivan has a number of other books - they are all
good.  Also, Mountaineers Press has a number of other
books by various authors that are worthy of owning.

Secondly :  Quite awhile ago someone mentioned a book
called "The Pacific Crest Bicycle Trail" by Bil Paul.
I just got a copy out of Corvallis-Benton Public
Library by Inter-Library Loan.  The book describes a
route following a variety of highways, and roads -
including some dirt - that parallels the PCT.  It
nevers asks you to ride on the PCT.  I think the book
is fairly rare, but for bicycle fans and PCT hikers,
it certainly presents a new vista of a way to spend
the summer.

Third : Not to open old wounds, but the discussion by
a couple of our most constant authors describing a
fantasy trip along the PCT with nightly stays in a
spacious, comfortable RV was just that: fantasy.  In
that, I agree with the comment of Jon D to just ignor
it.  However, I also receive these emails as a digest,
and the delete button does not suffice.  I would ask
that the list should try to stay on topics pertaining
to the trail, and not wander off into long-winded
explorations and exchanges that mostly refer to the
fantasies of one or two of the list authors.

Yours truly -
Kent
User of Public Libraries