[pct-l] email tendencies

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 17:01:21 CDT 2007

One of the most profound things to come out of this
list was seemingly off topic yet very appropriate to
every topic; sooner or later I quote it to everybody I
meet:

 It's taken me all my life to learn what not to play.
 ~ Dizzy Gillespie

I don't remember who posted it to pct-l but it's
cited at

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/jazzquotes.php

and elsewhere.

Personally, I prefer a slightly adulterated form:

 It's taken me my whole life to learn which notes
 not to play.

Looking for a more direct formulation of the same
notion, google found:

 Liberty   , or the right to act as one wills
according to his wisdom and conscience, is sometimes
charged with being "license" and totally irresponsible
conduct. But, on the contrary, responsibility of the
highest order is required in a liberal society. What
social design could be more challenging, in terms of
responsibility, self-discipline and self-control, than
that of liberalism in its requirements of
self-restraint; in avoiding trespass on the rights and
the property of others; in its respect for the rights
of others to disagree without precipitating conflict?
 Liberty  requires the highest order of conduct in its
practice.

at

http://www.fee.org/library/books/liberty.asp

As always, it's best to follow up to the poster
rather than the list.