[pct-l] leaving the trail for weddings

Laura Fox laura.fox at yale.edu
Tue Jul 24 16:25:02 CDT 2007

Hey, what do people usually do when they know they're going to have to leave the
trail mid-hike to attend some pre-existing far-away obligation?  Like, one that
involves getting to an airport and flying cross-country?  How much of a
pain/expense is it to get to airports from different sections of the trail?  Or
to make sure you get near an airport in time to catch a flight you've reserved
in advance?  (Or to make your dirty grubby hiker self look respectable for a
formal event, for that matter??)

I'm thinking about thru-hiking in 2008 but I already know I'm going to have to
attend weddings back east in June and August.  Weddings of close friends that I
totally can't skip.  It sounds like a hassle to deal with, but I don't think I
should call off a many-month hike on account of two days worth of obligations.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Laura (aka Everest, AT GA->ME '01)