[pct-l] How To Get Fit/Joakim

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Mon Jul 23 14:43:22 CDT 2007

A lot of it depends on your age and fitness level, but I can give you what works for me.

Many years ago, I went on a hiking trip in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone with my friend from Norway, Per Hansen.  I was worried about how he would handle our American trails, but he did very well indeed, and explained to me that many people from the Scandinavian countries are into cross country skiing in the mountains which keeps them very fit.  If that is the case with you, you probably already have a head start.

Here are a few ideas.

I would train in the same shoes, socks and clothing you plan to wear on your PCT hike if the weather allows.  Shoes are important and most thru-hikers wear trail running shoes.  A good example of a trail running shoe to wear on a tru-hike, and sort of a de facto standard is the Montrail Hardrock, although there are others.

Find a dirt course of 2-5 miles near where you live with a combination of flats and hills.  If you are already fit, hike the entire course, but if not start out slow with a mile or two.  If you get sore the first time, wait untill the soreness goes away before trying again.  Gradually build up the distance and frequency untill you can do the hike every day without getting sore.  Remember, on a thru-hike you will be hiking at least 20 miles every day for 4-6 months.

Don't skip training on hot days because your PCT hike will be hotter at times, especially in the desert, than you are used to in Sweden.

In the winter, go cross country skiing as often as possible, or do some step training.  I've found that step training helps a lot with hiking because of the similar motions.  You can go to a gym and use a fancy machine or simply buy a plastic step of about two feet high, set it in front of your tv, and watch an interesting show and step up and down for an hour or so. (I do step training three times a week for an hour each time while watching Countdown with Keith Olberman, a very fair and balanced show if I might add.  You may not have him in Sweden)

I have found that doing shoulder training with light weights, or doing exercizes such as pushups, or anything to strengthen the shoulder area helps with carrying a pack.

Anyway, I hope that helps;I am no fitness expert, but I am still in pretty good shape at 59, so I must be doing something right!

John Coyle

Bye the way, what's all this fuss about Switchback and Rienhold some of you? (Not you Joakim) If you don't like them, skip over their posts.  Life is too short. Personally I think they are funny experienced statesmen of the trail and they don't bother me. I would even go so far as to say that when I see Johnny Dep in his pirate get-up, I think of Switchback!  Avast yee matey, give me your gold!