[pct-l] JMT record attempts

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Jul 22 16:50:57 CDT 2007

HI  GUYS,
Just to let you know that the JMT will be smocking.
My most recent information indicates that there will be 4 or 5 attempts at
the unsupported     JMT record this summer.

JON  CHIAPPA  is already on the JMT, he started July 19.

AaRON  SORENSEN, a hard core Endurance Athlete, will start July 30.

JUSTIN  ANGEL, the Iron Man  &  JOHN  STAMSTAD, the Hall of Famer,  will
team up and
start September 1.

With such a strong field it is ininvitable that the record will fall this
year.
I just got through talking with Aaron......his attempt may very well be the
lightest unsupported
JMT record attempt ever........total pack weight between 13-14 lb including
food and water.
He is not carrying a sleeping bag because he is not planning on sleeping
very much and
whatever little sleep he will get he is planning on getting it during the
day at the lower elevations.
Funny, that was exactly Al Shaver's unsuccessful plan last year (I tried to
talk him out of it, but he would not listen).

Now, that is light.....I thought I was light but, I never was that light
but.....I'm old fashioned, from the old school of thought and think like a
backpacker (carry every thing you need to survive anything the Sierra can
throw at you).......the new trail runner breed does not quiet look at it
that way and if the weather holds, no problem, but if the weather does not
hold?

Aaron posted his article & gear list on   BACKPACKING LIGHT  if you are
interested.

JMT Reinhold
The soon to be former JMT record holder...sob,...sob,...sob