[pct-l] Agnes Creek section of PCT in Washington blocked by blowdowns

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 18 16:02:13 CDT 2007

I met Scott Williamson and Michelle Turley for dinner last night at
Snoqualmie Pass before they headed south on the PCT. Scott wants
everyone to know that the conditions of the Agnes Creek section of the
PCT between Hemlock Camp and High Bridge are the worst conditions he has
ever experienced in the 10 times (including this one) he has hiked the
PCT. There are heavy blowdowns every 50-100 feet between mile 2562
(Hemlock Camp) and mile 2574 (High Bridge). He and Michelle said it took
them an hour to go one mile. Several times they said they got lost
because there wasn't any trace of the trail. We are talking about the
only human being in the world to have done a yo-yo on the PCT twice, so
you know the conditions are bad and this is not an exaggeration. Scott
showed me some of the photos on his camera. I saw an amazing, twisted
jungle of huge tree trunks.

You may recall that the Agnes Creek bridge opened up on July 3rd. It is
located where the PCT crosses the creek just before High Bridge near
Stehekin. Scott and Michelle were the first southbounders to cross the
bridge. I don't know if the forest service plans to get some trail crews
in there now that the bridge is finished, but Scott says it will take
months--and that is if they get permission to use chainsaws in the
wilderness area.

Since there are northbound thru hikers already past Ashland, Scott wants
to get this word out right away to the community. I'm sure the trail
telegraph will work -- Scott will also tell as many as he can when he
meets them going southbound. Don't expect that you will be able to
travel an normal speed through this section of the PCT. It can't be done.

As for the original PCT on the west side of Glacier Peak--which has been
"closed" since 2003 due to flood damage to bridges--Scott and Michelle
checked it out but the Suiattle River was running too high. Scott did
see the big log that everyone used last year to cross the Suiattle in
the fall. He said is it still there and should be usable when thruhikers
arrive in September. Scott's advice would be to take the original PCT if
you are coming late enough in the season. There is also blow down on
this section, but it is not as bad as Agnes Creek.

When I have more time I will share some of their trail stories. They
should be in Cascade Locks around July 29th or 30th.

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
Seattle