[pct-l] Kelso Valley rd to Bird Spring Pass

Bill & Cathy Frenette tahoe.cat at verizon.net
Tue Jul 17 12:13:39 CDT 2007

"How's Your Trail"?   Meadow Ed, you were right, to dam HOT for hiking. I started with 6 liters and did 9.6 miles from 9:15 to 1800(6pm). When I got to Bird Spring Pass the next morning I had 1/2 a liter. God bless Bill and Mary there was about 20 gallons and I took 2. My pack weight was about 50 lbs. Way to heavy!!! I decided to take SC120 down from Bird Spring to Kelso Valley rd. My car was at Kennedy Meadows. It was 5.4 miles to Kelso and I was hoping to catch a ride to any town to call my wife to come and get me. I said a prayer "Lord I need a ride to town but a bigger Miracle would be for some one to take me to my car. I was sitting in front of the Robinson's place on Kelso Valley rd when a woman came out to get the mail, I said Hi and she said nothing. She left and a few minutes later came back with another woman and this other woman asks me if I'm a backpacker and hands me a bottle of cold water, a diet Pepsi and a COORS lite. Wow, I said I was hoping to catch a ride to town and she said they could do that. Her husband came out and put my stuff in his car and we start down the road. He asked where I wanted to go and I said to the nearest Phone so I could call my wife and He turns the car around and says I could do that from his house. Then He asks where my wife would be coming from and says OH DEAR. I had said Murrieta. We go into the house and He says to his wife "I'm going to take Him to Kennedy Meadows". I about dropped my teeth. He says his car is up there and his wife would have to come from Murrieta. She says OH DEAR.  They were originally from England so with their accents, it was something to listen to. When we got to my car I told him about my miracle, asking God for some one to take me to my car. That was 48 miles one way for Him, WOW I'm still amazed. God Bless Erik and Betty Robinson, they were in their late 70s and He had Aorta surgery the week before. I got their names and address and He say "So will I be expecting a Christmas Card", I laughed and said "It will be more than a Card. I wonder if they like steaks?  Any how so much for my ramblings I could go on for ever.  Remember "Be Prepared" Ground Pounder Bill "Semper Fi"     PS I will have pics later including the guys on Motor Cycles.