[pct-l] Just Curious ...

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 09:35:30 CDT 2007

>>or me, the '.com' makes me leery. Why should any
>>commercial enterprise be "endorsed" by PCT hikers
>.or non-profit organizations like the PCTA as being
>>"official"?
While technically .COM means commercial, in reality .COM is now the de factor generic designation for sites. People automatically enter .COM for sites w/o thinking about it.

My own site is a .COM. As far as I know, it is not for commercial purposes. :)   I am not the only purpose who has a hobby site with .com registration.

For a more serious example, the outdoor group I help run has a website that is .NET, but we also registered .COM  and have a redirect to. NET.  Many people type in  .COM automatically.

Long story short, ADVENTUREONTHEPCT.COM is a non-profit site run but a person who appears to be a good egg.

As for why use it? Well..why not use it? :)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com