[pct-l] The PCT - Why so many lists?

Mike Aken mike_aken at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:34:37 CDT 2007

I'm not a grizzled veteran like Switchback, BUT

hiking lists are like music or religion , you have to find one that matches your tastes/style..

Like religions most are started because the current list does match the expectations
of a particular reader. Most new lists end up with far fewer readers than the original list.
Because like music or religion, you must match up to the new style.

These are my memories and I am sticking with the story.  :-)  :-)

in the beginning there was   rec.backcountry

I believe that the original AT information was  http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html

Wingfoot's list was well read in the late 90's, but his abrasive style drove many
folks away, or they were excommunicated by wingfoot  http://www.trailplace.com/portal/index.php

Along came http://www.backcountry.net/

Most folks went to the at-l
there is also the pct-l
and the cdt-l

All three of the above lists have the same folksy style, and a moderator who
does not interrupt very often.

Later postholer and whiteblaze came along.

I belong to the at-l and the pct-l. I once belonged to the cdt-l

The folks at rec.backcountry always resisted the opportunities to split the
list up into many sections. They found that the sum of the sections did
not match the original list.  Most people wanted to see the freshest info
all in one place and would select what they wanted to read.

So google pct
check out the results
and stick with what you selected.
you will have a hard time finding the pct-l because it is a mailing list.  :-)

the archives are a great resource.
http://mailman.hack.net/pipermail/pct-l/
http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/

Mike

http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

"I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one".
                         Jack Hampson