[pct-l] gear?

Junaid Dawud jdawud at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 22:17:21 CDT 2007

Aloha Chase,

I hiked Mex->Snoqualmie last year with a Catalyst.  I
loved it.  I was glad to have the larger Catalyst
during the High Sierra because it fit my bearcanister
and extra gear.  Trowler hiker with the Circuit (I
believe), but he was pretty Ultra Lite (hence the name
Trowler, which he earned because he uses an MSR snow
stake for a spoon and a potty trowl).  During much of
the trail north of Sonora, I had to put my sleeping
bag in the top of the pack and let it loft a bit so
that my pack was 'full', and even considered getting
the Circuit.  I would recommend, getting your sleeping
bag, tent/shelter, kitchen gear, and most of your
clothing together first.  Also, once you've got a
better idea of your gear weight and volume, call Brian
Frankle and talk it over with him.  If you think the
Circuit will work, order it far enough ahead of time
so that you can pack all your stuff into it (including
extra Sierra gear) in your living room.  If it doesn't
work, Brian will accept your (still new) pack back and
you can upgrade to the Catalyst.

That said, I loved my Catalyst and can't wait to strap
that bad boy back on come August.  Brian just finished
some repairs for me and I'm really stoked to see it
again.

hope that helps some.

-------Speshul41