[pct-l] Cost of through hiking

Steve Fosdick hikin_steve at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 13:35:57 CDT 2007

Mark,

  You make a good point regarding the lost opportunity to earn wages while on the trail, but for me and where I'm at right now in my life, its not really a factor.

  After 29 years of marriage, my wife and I divorced this past spring. She just didn't like to hike, and I couldn't take NOT being on the trail any more!

  My youngest child is 18, and he just graduated from High School in Oregon. My current job is driving Town Cars and Limo's in LA, and while I am enjoying this gig, it's just a way to pay the rent and buy food. I won't need to pay rent during the hike (except for the occassional stop at a motel), and I'd have to buy food anyway.)

  My ex-wife thinks that I'm having a mid-life crissis ... I'd rather call it a mid-life adventure. Since I'm turing 50 later this month, I'll never do this hike any younger! I can't wait to get started!

  Hikin_Steve

"Shank, Mark L" <Mark.L.Shank at boeing.com> wrote:
  Steve,
One consideration I haven't seen mentioned is the opportunity cost of
not working for 5+ months. This is one of the reasons I have not
thru-hiked the PCT yet. (Other reasons being family obligations, lack
of time off, etc.) For me, I figure the cost of not working for 5+
months, plus cost of hike itself, plus gear would be at minimum, a
whopping $35,000 Plus. This is a real cost that should not be
underestimated. And this assumes that I can pick up workig where I
left off, as soon as I'm done hiking, which is a big IF.
But I wish you success. Good luck.