[pct-l] socks

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Jul 5 12:37:58 CDT 2007

Excellent point.  Yesterday I packed up this season's discarded hiker shoes to take to the homeless shelter. One pair, which had been mailed ahead in advance, only had 25 miles on them (from Hiker Heaven to Casa de Luna).  The guy got a ride back, found his old broken-in shoes in the hiker box, and left the new ones -- they just didn't work.

I always wonder why hikers don't mail home their (decent condition) shoes instead of discarding them.  They may not work for hiking, but would still work for every day runaround stuff.  Every year it's a monumental task to wash all the shoes, go through them to see what truly needs to be discarded, and then pack them up.  I don't mind the effort on my part, it just seems so impractical and wasteful (especially from the typically frugal minded hikers).

L-Rod