[pct-l] About how many thru hikers per year

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Thu Jul 5 12:36:14 CDT 2007

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley wrote:

> Bottom line, if you're not prepared to be alone -- with the skills,
> equipment, and mental fortitude to be out there by yourself, it could
> have a fundamental effect on your hike.
>
> L-Rod

while this is true, i would also point out that it's quite common for
folks to have doubts about this (and many other things) as part of the
pre-hike jitters, when your mind goes crazy with all the "what-ifs" and
the self-doubt. in my experience, once you're out on the trail and off
and running, most hikers only need to spend a night or two alone in the
woods before they realize that they have all the confidence they need to
feel safe and happy by themselves on the trail.

gs