[pct-l] bear canisters

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Wed Jan 31 19:07:37 CST 2007

One more wrinkle: in all the Sierra wilderness areas, "proper food
storage" is required.  This means hanging/bear-bagging, canisters, or
bear-boxes (and specifically *not* sleeping with food, stuffing it in
cracks in rocks, "stealth camping", etc.)  In other words, even in
places that don't require a canister, you must hang your food
effectively *and* you must actively defend your food should a bear enter
your camp.  It's your responsibility to keep your food from bears, and
you can be fined if a bear does get your food.  Those perfect
bear-bagging trees printed on the back of plastic topo maps are not that
common in the high Sierra, and bear-boxes can be full when you arrive
late at night, long after the weekenders have filled them with their
excess food and garbage.