[pct-l] bear canisters

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Wed Jan 31 18:04:14 CST 2007

Bears can be active at any time, even in mid-winter:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tm.htm

"Wildlife: On January 15 near an area known as the "little blue slide"
about a mile east of the ranger station, we saw what appeared to be bear

tracks in the snow along the Tioga road. They were melted out and wind
scoured, which added to our doubts that there could really be a bear out

and about in the middle of winter. But a couple of days later we
received
a report from the crew at Tioga Pass Resort, about 8 miles to our east,
of bear tracks and then an actual bear sighting in the snow at about
the 9500 foot elevation level. Nothing illustrates the warm and dry
winter we are having more than the realization that some of the bears
either haven't bothered to hibernate, or are coming out early to enjoy
the spring-like weather."