[pct-l] Carrying Water Advisory

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 22:57:29 CST 2007

I know some of you are  experimenting with carrying heavy water on your
waists like I do most of the  time.  This way it frees half my body (back/spine)
from this weight  burden.  I can be Ultra Light from the waist up.  May be even
Extreme  Ultra Light.

But I want to warn you about  something.  Be sure to train with carrying
water weight this way.  It  puts the weight right over your large leg muscles,
which is good, but they need  to get use to that type of carry.  Train with your
water bottles/bladders  full.

For example, I can easily carry 100  ounces in my bladders, plus I have two
16 ounce shake/mixes bottles next to the  bladders.  In front is my pouch full
of small items.  The whole system  is very comfortable and easy to use.
Remember, I do not use a backpack  waist belt, so I do not have any interference
between the waist pack and  the backpack waist belts.

Just train with this system before  you hit the trail.  Play around with it
for the most comfortable carry  too.  I use super light car shoulder strap pads
from mean old corporate  WalMart auto section on my waist belt for extra
comfort.

I do not particularly like carrying  weight on a backpack waist belt.  This
is because there is a certain way  you need to keep the backpack waist belt
positioned for effective use and waist  belt weight makes this much more
difficult.  I guess it is okay for very  light weight items in pouches, but that is
even suspect.  I do not know for  sure, but I do not think pack makers talk
about the art and science of correctly  using a pack waist belt.  But that is
another story for another  time.

Cheers, Switchback the  Hydrator