[pct-l] mt lions

Sandra Smith sandrams at olypen.com
Sun Jan 28 17:20:13 CST 2007

Since I live in mt lion country year-round, I may have a slightly
different perspective.  Their presence doesn't keep me from hiking
alone (after all, one small one was literally at my back door with a
raccoon in its mouth when I yelled and my mother and I chased it into
the woods where it dropped the only-slightly-hurt raccoon and ran
off) and there have been no cases in the Olympics that I know of
where the lions have attacked hikers.  Yet....   they don't always
seem to be particularly afraid of people.  A fellow hiker has been
stalked by a lion on a popular trail a few miles from here.  One
farmer 4 miles away looked out his window to see a lion "riding" one
of his cows, which just bucked it off.  One went into a garage and
ate a cocker spaniel in a small town 7 miles away.  And in our area,
this cannot be attributed to growing human presence, because the
small town is actually smaller now than 40 years ago, and much of
these Olympic foothills have no more people than lived here in 1950
or in 1898, and most is still government or private commercial
timberland.  And lion hunting is a popular sport!

Personally, I think the lion population DOES rise and fall with the
deer population.  I've also come upon a half-eaten deer covered with
leaves, on my own land, and figured the  lion probably took at least
one deer a week, judging by how long it took to eat that one.  The
area has had a lot of clearcutting within the past 20 years, and the
browse is abundant...and so are the deer.  For 25 years, we never saw
a mt lion, and in the past 5 years, I've seen 4 different ones (the
same ones a couple of times more).  What is the difference?  More deer.

We have a couple of months of deer hunting here...between black
powder, archery, and modern firearm seasons.  Lots of hunters, too.
But deer reproduce REALLY fast when there's plenty to eat.  And I
suspect the lions do, too.  When the timber grows too tall to support
much browse underneath, I'll bet deer and lions both will decrease.

Sandy from the Olympics