[pct-l] Mountain Lion Attack

Campy campydog at verizon.net
Sat Jan 27 15:20:40 CST 2007

We believe that, beginning with the Sierra Nevada Bighorn sheep
becoming emergency-listed as a Federal Endangered animal, this unique
subspecies has begun making a comeback. With the January 2000 Federal
listing (a year after California's listing, but which the Federal
listing trumps), hunting of the mountain lion was authorized on a
limited scale. The conditions which were set required that a lion had
to be an immediate threat to a specific Sierra Bighorn - not just any
lions, not just any Sierra Bighorn. A licensed-federal hunter living on
his ranch in Owens Valley performs this duty as required. One hundred
or so Bighorn individuals occupied the Sierra Nevada in the year 1995;
the count appears to be gaining, with over 350 individuals living here
currently. It's now again possible to see a Bighorn sheep while hiking
the PCT, and most assuredly so near certain of its less-traveled Sierra
Nevada approaches. On this portion of the PCT, it is statistically more
likely that a hiker may catch sight of a mountain lion.

A secondary feature within the Eastern Sierra is that the US Forest
Service and cooperating permittee sheep grazers have reduced possible
contact of domestic sheep with the Bighorn. The threat had been the
decimation of a Bighorn herd via a lethal pneumonia variant by simple
nose-to-nose contact across a fence made with domestic sheep, to which
this variant poses a low threat. To my knowledge, there have been no
instances of distemper found within the Sierra Nevada Bighorn
subspecies in modern times. The ranges that Bighorn had utilized for
food were normally separated by both spatial and temporal factors from
those of domestic sheep. By the time the Bighorn reached the lower
elevations in early winter, many of the domestic sheep would have
already been taken out.

When mountain lion predation became the dominant threat, the Sierra
Bighorn learned to avoid their traditional winter range. They were
forced to stay high within the adverse conditions on wind-blown and
snow-free ridgelines. Tragic declines in foaling occurred, and
survivors were appreciably weakened.

The mountain lion occurrence within Owens Valley is now generally
lowered, and particularly so at Round Valley a few miles north of
Bishop. This result has permitted the Round Valley mule deer herd to
revive (17.000 individuals around 1969 when I arrived, down to 1200 due
to mountain lion predation, and now somewhere near 6,000). Personally,
I've had three kitty cats killed on our property by mountain lions in
the past. I have walked blithely and unknowingly beneath a mountain
lion sitting in our mulberry tree while it was then having dinner with
one of those kitties. Also gone are those days when a mountain lion
could sometimes be so brazen as to be found sleeping on a neighbor's
front porch. We are beginning to hear the wailing of coyotes again,
which ceased when the mountain lions were active in this area. I look
for the day when a Sierra Nevada Bighorn sheep can feel like napping on
my front porch.
==^=== Campy