[pct-l] Mountain Lion Attack

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Fri Jan 26 12:29:13 CST 2007

Reading the blurb for the book, it addresses the impact of urban sprawl
encroaching on wildlife habitat and the 'fern feeler' attitude which is a
major problem everywhere due the explosion of our own species.

In this case, urban encroachment isn't an issue. The small wayside of Orick
is anything but growing. In my opinion, this situation has developed due to
the following: Elk = Tourists = Increased Funding = Mismanagement. The elk
viewing areas are wildly popular with the tourists (justifiably so!), so the
herd goes unchecked.

This reeks of the "Put out every fire policy". In the long run, those
charged with protecting our resources contribute to it's decline.

To those effecting our resources, be it the USFS, Sierra Club, et al, I
quote those immortal words of Glen Close in "The World According to Garp" -
"Quit playing with it."

Preserve the natural state and protect it, that's your purpose.

Scott

There is undoubtedly a direct correlation between the growing elk herd and
the expansion of the mountain lion population resulting increased attacks on
domestic animals and people.

For a great (though disturbing) story and insights to mountain lion
behavior, the history of humans and mountain lions, and the impact of modern
policies and laws, read "A Beast in the Garden; The True Story of a
Predator's Deadly Return to Suburban America" by David Barron.

www.amazon.com/Beast-Garden-Predators-Suburban-America/dp/0393326349/sr=8-1/qid=1169833781/ref=sr_1_1/102-7112815-1150557?ie=UTF8&s=books

L-Rod
<<<<