[pct-l] Food Cache

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Wed Jan 24 19:02:45 CST 2007

Jeffrey Olson wrote:
> Hi:
>
> But this is exactly what the sign says the boxes are for!  It may be
> this is the only place this is so, and is the only one I know of, but
> there are three huge boxes there at the edge of the parking lot for food
> storage for hikers - the rangers don't want food in people's cars.
> There are boxes for campers in the campground.  Now my putting food in
> the boxes at Horseshoe Meadows may have done what Pea suggests, but
> Onion Valley is different...

i think there may be some ambiguity in such case, but it's my
understanding that these are intended for short-term use by day hikers
or weekenders who are hiking/camping in the immediate vicinity, and NOT
for folks to, say, cache food in for 6 weeks while they're walking from
campo to onion valley. i suppose if you got someone to cache the food
there for you shortly before arriving to pick it up yourself, then it
probably would be fine. but if you were going to do that, it'd probably
be just as easy to simply have your friend meet you there in person, or
for that matter hitch down to independence to get a maildrop or buy food
(thus eliminating the need for a special errand from your friend
entirely). afterall, you've already done the 9 mile walk out to onion
valley...

gs