[pct-l] Esbit vs. Alcohol

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Wed Jan 24 16:22:20 CST 2007

Paul Magnanti wrote:

>  Trioxane
>

> As with Esbit, do not need a special stove. Trioaxne can usually be
> found at Army surplus stores (online and local). The fumes are toxic,
> but not usually a problem unless you use in a poorly ventilated space
> (you should not use ANY stove in a poorly ventilated space!). About the
> same weight as Esbit for a quarter the full retail price. Because it is
> surplus, quality can differ. Trioxane burns hot, but not very
> efficiently. Not really suggested for general use. May not be bad as a
> backup to another stove.

but the thing about trioxane is that it can be bought CHEAP. i got a box
of 125, which covered my entire thru-hike, for $24.00 online.

as far as the ventilation issue goes, it's definitely true that you want
to be careful. it was a bit tough to make these work in my tent's
vestibule because of this. the fumes can cause a sharp stinging/burning
sensation in your eyes!!

girlscout