[pct-l] Food Cache

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Jan 24 15:55:09 CST 2007

I've cached food numerous times on the PCT for section hikes.  I hung
food from a tree at Sonora Pass one year between the picnic area and
road.  I hung three caches from trees on the Castle Crags to Seiad
section.  I hung food south of parking lot on Hwy 50 before near the
worker housing, and near Donner Pass.    I hung food at the McCloud
River.  I put a food bag in the bear boxes at Horseshoe Meadows down
from Trail Pass.  I used caches on the Tahoe Rim Trail, both food and
water.

There are a bunch of bear boxes at the Onion Valley Parking lot and the
signs insist you use the bear boxes rather than leave food in cars - so
there's another cache spot.

I'm going to hang food this summer on a section hike.  I always thought
if I were to hike the JMT again I'd cache food in LeConte Canyon and use
the 24 miles round trip over Bishop Pass as part of getting used to
hiking.

I humped in a week's worth of food to Weminuche Pass out of Rio Grande
Reservoir for three people and hung it in a tree that was visble for
hundreds of yards in all directions.  We met numerous hikers who'd
noticed it.

I've used metal screen to keep rodents out, and not used screen.  Only
once did a squirrel or something gnaw a hole and get into one of the
gorp bags.  If you use a screen, the bad part is carrying it out.

It's worth it to take an extra day to drive and cache food and only
carry two or three days of food at a time...  I'm a convert!!!

Jeff, just Jeff...