[pct-l] Friends to join for short hike

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Wed Jan 24 12:47:27 CST 2007

Bill Batchelor wrote:

> I have a couple friends that are considering joining me for a couple days (I
> wont allow any longer).  Of course, they want to do it somewhere with the
> best scenery they can.  They'd like to do some part of the Sierra - or
> perhaps near Tahoe.  They will be traveling by car from So Cal. So no
> further north than the Tahoe area.

i'd say go for the desolation wilderness. that's between echo lake
(tahoe) and donner pass. should only be snow issues on dick's pass that
time of year, but it's no big deal. they'll see some high-sierra type
scenery, but it's more accessible and not as strenuous. if they have
enough time, i'd recommend going all the way from echo lake to donner
pass, as the scenery changes quite a bit in this segment and it's all
pretty in between those points. this segment took me three days on my
thru-hike, not sure how long it would take your friends, but probably at
least four days. they should be able to find a ride back to echo lake
without much problem.

girlscout