[pct-l] Colin Fletcher Quote

msarahm at cox.net msarahm at cox.net
Wed Jan 24 12:19:01 CST 2007

I'm reading Colin Fletcher's "The Man Who Walked Through Time", and I thought I'd share a quote I enjoyed.  The "walk through time" refers to a walk through the Grand Canyon, end to end, I think in the sixties.

"It seemed to me that if I planned efficiently, carried two gallons of water, did nothing foolish, and studiously avoided bad luck, I ought to get by."

So here's to the studious avoidance of bad luck!

P. S. Switchback: the last time I was down at Phantom Ranch, there were no native americans, just a ranger, some mules, a few wranglers, and bunches of hikers sitting in the Bright Angel Creek.  Yes, entire families sitting together in the creek to keep cool.  So much for being auctioned off to an Indian Princess!  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.