[pct-l] Esbit vs alcohol stove

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 11:12:45 CST 2007

> I do not know the weight comparisons when you consider the fuel canister
> weight etc.  If anyone has done the math or has an intuitive feel for
> that,
> I'd be interested.

This guy, Paul, has done tons of research in this area.

He also had free plans for a home made 0.3 ounce stove.  This is what I use.

With practice Esbits can do a good job, especially in the weight area.
Suggested useage is less than 1/2 the weight of alcohol.  Use the same
weight as you would for alcohol and it would be too much, but boil water
much faster.  I use no more than one and a half tablets when I want a lot
more heat or I'm in a hurry (morning coffee).

I've used only esbits for about five years.  It's a big part of keeping my
pack weight down.

Hard to light.............. yes

Availability.................. difficult.  Mail drops.

REI will only ship them UPS because they say they are in a grey area in
shipping US mail.
This means you have to have a specific person or business to send them to.

Since I get lot's of resupply boxes anyway, I'm covered.  I did have to
borrow some once.

A lot of people don't like them.

Warner Springs Monty