[pct-l] Pay Phones

Larry breed 409chevy at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 24 08:46:14 CST 2007

in Sierra City and the surrounding area  there is no cell phone service available, but we do have a pay phone on the porch of the grocery store. ATT took out all the pay phones in out service area and we were told we would have to sign up with a new carrier. We have done this but the cost of service is high for us. Also not sure of the cost to you the phone user but its probably higher than att. Sorry for that but its use this carrier or have no phone.
  larry/sierra country store

Roy <roy_hiking at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I have noticed over the last few years, hiking on the A.T.,
when I would get to a spot where a pay phone was listed in a trail guide
it had been removed. I asked one store owner and was told the he had
to pay to have the phone at his location and no money was being made
from it so he had it removed.
Also a thru-hiker last year on the AT, trail name "Will Call",
who was calling his wife at every phone found pay phones missing.
I only have a cell phone and I will be paying for it while I am
hiking so.
Will there be pay phones at most stopping points(towns, camps,
etc.)?
Will I have any coverage on the trail or in trail towns?

Take Care, Hike Safe, and Give Back to the Outdoors

Roy (aka Bayou)
(Wanted "Hiking Partner")
Trail Journal PCT 2007 @ http://www.trailjournals.com/bayou/

Hiking Page @ http://geocities.com/roy_hiking/