[pct-l] ref: San Diego and visit to Mexico

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Tue Jan 23 23:30:04 CST 2007

Tumbleweed asked:

First, can she get her passport stamped with the Mexican stamp when she goes
across for a visit??

Second, where is the best place to do this day trip???

Third, I visited the zoo many years ago and found it outstanding. Is it
still a worthy attraction??
------------------------
T-weed,

Well, on the passport question - I am not sure.  Since "USA entry" as of
today a passport is not needed, a drivers license will suffice - I have
never handed my passport over to see if they WOULD stamp it.  I suspect they
would just look at it, like they do a license, and give it back.  I am not
sure how you might find out otherwise ahead of time.  I may cross the border
in the next week.  If I do, I will ask them and let you know what they say.
You may be able to ask them for a stamp.

Going into Mexico from San Diego is right into TJ.  For the first time
visitor, I would recommend walking across.  Driving in Mexico can be very
intimidating and unless you are a comfortable world traveler and used to
feeling completely disoriented... I would not recommend it.  You can take a
red-line trolley from down town san diego right to the border.  Walking
across into Mexico requires no paperwork - you just go through a couple big
rotating turn-style things.  Coming back - walking - is a MUCH slower
process.  Ever since 911 it has gotten slower and slower.  So, expect the
line to walk back to be an hour wait.

Everyone takes dollars in Mexico.  There is no reason to exchange your
money.  If you get change in pesos, you can ask for change in US dollars
please and usually it will be given.  If you end up with pesos, there are
exchange houses everywhere along the borders (casa de cambio or house of
change).

The only real day trip option into Mexico on foot is Tijuana.  When you
cross in on foot you step right into it.  Tijuana can be a bit intimidating
depending on your mindset.  It has a reputation for corruption, etc.  Most
of it is overblown, related only to those dealing in drugs and the like.
However, there is plenty of truth to the problems.  The police are known for
pulling over drivers and getting them to pay say... $80 for a traffic
violation that did not occur.  I am not sure I would recommend it to a solo
woman unless again, they are an experienced traveler and are comfortable
with stepping into a foreign land.  I almost hate to discourage it, because
no matter how much I down play it - it sounds "scary".  In reality, there
are a few things you can do to handle it just fine.  This is what I would
do.  First, go during the day.  This is a party city with crazy gringos
getting too drunk at night.  When you walk across the border walk straight
ahead until you reach the taxi lines.  You will be approached.  Ask for a
cab to "Avenida Revolucion".  That is a street name.  This is the heart of
the tourist street with shops and all the bustle of Mexico.  Enjoy a stroll,
stop into one of the restaurants/clubs with a street view and have a
margarita or beer.  When you are done, find a cab (they are on every corner)
and ask to be taken back to the border.  The cab fair each way should be $5.
You can confirm the price before you leave to make sure you are both on the
same page.  When you go back to the border, you cross back into the USA on
the opposite side from where you came in.  The border driving lanes are
about 25 wide.  So, the other side looks very different from where you came
in (I tell you that just in case when being dropped off you think, "this
does not look like it").   The cab driver will point you toward the border
line (he can only get within a few hundred yards in his car).  As you walk
along the cars waiting in line, you will come to the long line of people
waiting.  You just get into line and wait with them.

And yes, the Zoo is better than ever - especially for walkers.  Too many
people ride around on the double decker bus.  It is just not the same that
way.

I hope that is helpful.  I will follow-up with the passport answer if I get
down there in the next few weeks.

Regards!
Bill