[pct-l] Pocketmail

Lawrence Beals lbealsjr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 15:13:40 CST 2007

>From what I can figure out reading through their past financial
reports Pocketmail Group Limited AU (who was the parent company) went
into receivership last year (the AU version of bankruptcy) and sold
everything to Pocketmail INC (US) who leased back the AU rights to
Pocketmail Group Limited. Haven't been able to find a finanicial
report for PM Inc to figure out how long they have a chance of
surviving. Their main market I think has been full time RVers and
thru-hikers, but with so many free wireless places on the
interstate/road (I was able to get wireless in pretty much all fuel
stops and about half of the rest stops I pulled into between CA and
VA) it doesn't look pretty for them. Add in the declining population
of pay phones and cell phone companies like Cingular who are killing
off their analog networks...

I will be carrying a Verizon XV6700 instead (lets see if their network
is as good as they say <grin>, worse that can happen is that I don't
get my journal updated in a timely manner -so what else is new.
Perhaps we can feedback to Yogi which towns we were able to get
wireless and it can be added to the Handbook for future hikers?

hike safe

Bear

<snipped>

--