[pct-l] Campo Start Options (Jeff Williams)

Bob Bob rew_us at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 23:32:41 CST 2007

I camped about 10 miles north of the border last
January heading southbound.  There were few campsites
since chapparal came right up to both sides of the
trail for a lot of the way (less nearing Campo) .  I
camped about 120 feet from the trail so immigrants
hiking the trail at night wouldn't have to go around
me.  I didn't see any immigrants.  I never had any
problems with immigrants on the whole trail.  The
border has video cameras so after I was there a while
a border patrol truck drove up to me.  The guard was
very friedly and I took a picture of his truck for my
scrap book.  The official guidbook suggests that you
might want to check in at the border patrol station in
campo before walking to the border fence.  This isn't
true,  they didn't want to talk to me when I stopped
there.  There is a register at the Campo Post Office
and in a first aid box nailed to the PCT border
monument.   If you put your foot under the fence to
touch mexico that doesn't work. Mexico is like another
20 feet past the fence.  You may just want to get a
ride there early in the morning and then camp at Lake
Morena which has a little grocery store.  There are
quite a few immigrants going north from Lake Morena
until you get past the highway.  But even then some of
them even keep going over Mt. Laguna according to the
people at the Mt. Laguna Store.

Pika