[pct-l] Great Job, Rodriquez Canyon Trail Crew

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 22:05:10 CST 2007

Great Job to the Rodriguez Canyon trail crew last weekend!  Starting from
Barrel Springs (S22, mile 101) on Saturday, I hiked 48 miles to Sunrise
Highway (at mile 53) on Monday.  Sunday near dusk, I came across the brand
new trail work just south of Rodriguez Canyon  Road.  What a change.  Before
that there had been too many trail miles battling overgrown brush.  If the
trail crew's ears were burning 'round about Sunday dusk, it wasn't just from
the cold,  I was singing your praises all down that stretch of trail.  (Was
Go-Big (Robert Francisco) part of the crew?)

And it was cold indeed.  At midnight, Saturday night, I pulled a
frozen-solid water bottle into a warm sleeping bag.  Ouch.  I needed to make
sure I had some liquid water come morning.  Before turning back to sleep I
shined a light on the thermometer.  It read 14 degrees.  To see 12 seconds
of sunrise from the San Felipe Hills the next day and see my knuckles
getting bruised on a solid-rock frozen water bag see:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4OHP7gjEHjQ     (Sorry it's soundless, but you'll
get the point.)

Scout (Barney Mann)

Message: 9