[pct-l] Recipes

c.engberg at cox.net c.engberg at cox.net
Tue Jan 16 00:59:50 CST 2007

Almost any sweetening additive is going to have some adverse health effect. Choosing the
lesser evil is the key: compared to Nutrisweet and Equal I would choose Splenda any day
(especially since you cant really bake with the others). Coming from a family with history of
diabetes I try to be careful about moderating my insulin level. A couple of options I have
found useful:

Stevia herb extract- widely used in South America for centuries has an intensely sweet
unique flavor. Also low-calorie and ok for diabetics. Takes a few days to fully get used to.
Dont use excessive amounts to avoid a bitter taste. I use NOW brand, available as a
supplement at health food stores. Check online for recipes and conversions from sugar.

Crystalline fructose- made from corn unfortunately, not fruit! Has a lesser impact on insulin
as it first has to be converted sucrose before it can be used by the body. Also 50% sweeter
than table sugar (sucrose) meaning you use less. I have only found it sold in bulk online.
Anyone now of an all-natural brand made from fruit?

Using whole fruits (that have lots of fiber) helps to further slow the conversion and
absorbsion of sucrose.

Switchback, you might try cinnamon-raisin panesitos? Use stevia for the main sweetness
with cinnamon and a handful of raisins for some extra flavor.

hopefully helps a little
-Chris