[pct-l] Satellite Radio for the Trail

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Mon Jan 15 11:04:38 CST 2007

Here is my only gripe about Sirius: When I chose Sirius over XM, it was
mainly because of Sirius' high visibility advertising that they have
NPR. They DO have "NPR", but it isn't their flagship programs "Morning
Edition" and "All Things Considered". I shot off several VERY hot
e-mails to both Sirius and NPR regarding what I felt was a new form of
"bait and switch".
The NPR programming is essentially most everything BUT "ME" and "ATC".
All good programming, no doubt, but if you're like me, I was addicted to
ME and ATC before I even explored this other programming.

But, that set aside, if you have the new Stiletto, you can program it to
record any broadcast for later listening! VERY cool. This, I think, is
why the Stiletto comes with 2 gigs of memory. You can upload Audio files
to the unit as well. I did, but soon deleted most of what I loaded up
because there's simply so much content broadcast bu Sirius.

I remember (just to keep this thread on "PCT" topic) when I hiked the
Desert Divide. I did this solo and while I was hiking, I was able to
pick up NPR from an FM station out of Palm Springs (I was also able to
pick up KCRW out of Santa Monica very clearly from Fuller Ridge!). This
particular day NPR had a news article about the Minute Men and the
illegal border crossing issue. There was audio from several interviews
and "ride alongs" from both the anti-immigrant" and the "pro-immigrant"
activists from the Campo area. Very cool to listen about something that
directly affects the PCT WHILE hiking the PCT! Every once in a while I
would glance back and see the tip-top of Mt Laguna far in the south.

I'm a huge radio talk/news junkie and I love getting reception wherever
I can when I'm on the trail. With satellite radio, you can get signal
reception and HUGE content in the most remote areas!

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com