[pct-l] Invitation

Slow Comfort slow.comfort at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 22:42:52 CST 2007

Hey,

I'd like to preface this letter with a little about myself.

My trail name is Slow Comfort and I go by Slow.  I'm a physically fit
and athletic 64 year old camper, hiker and general wilderness snoop.
Some of my experiences include solo sabbaticals in various wilderness
areas of North America, Mexico, Central America and various areas
along the foothills of the Himalayas.  I am used to extended
wilderness periods.  My longest time alone was 7 months in the Florida
Everglades, coming out occasionally to supply.  I have never hiked
over 250 miles but am eagerly awaiting the miles of the PCT.

Currently I am retired and living with my family, (sons, daughters,
grandkids) in North Idaho.  I was in business promotion and funding
for most of the 40 years of my business life.  My family now operates
a construction firm.  My sons run the business and I have been set
free to walk across the USA.  Lord willing I intend to hike the PCT,
CDT and the AT in the next three years.

I am sponsored by local business concerns that will donate $1.00 for
every hiked mile to a very worthy North Idaho health clinic that
reaches out to the underprivileged and uninsured of this beautiful
part of the world.  I  am working hard to get at least 10 sponsors.
Sponsorship requirements to-date have included physical and health
prerequisites that I satisfactorily met.  Additionally, I personally
will receive no monetary consideration of any kind.

I am hoping to associate with at least two, but hopefully three
mutually compatible, capable, and considerate individuals who will
commit to a "successful" thru hike of the PCT 2007 and will dedicate
their hike to the health clinic.

Neither age nor gender is a consideration.  Rather, people with a
heart for others, team players in good health, strong and courageous
wills, and the means to re-supply one self thru the hike are the
prerequisites.  There is no leadership offered nor sought for, only
good people that want to equally collaborate for something good with
other good people for the sake of the good.

Of course, I have to admit to a very personal challenge from the three
American trails and I'm going to start meeting them this year.  I'd
like my grandkids to talk about their gramps to their children.  It's
the kind of legacy I want to leave.

The sponsorship thing just kind of came about as we were visiting with
business acquaintances and I mentioned that I'd be hiking the trail
this year.  Otherwise I would have just waited for the hike and the
individuals life and circumstance would have me become friends with.
But for the sake of the clinic and the work they do, I felt moved to
help insure success with a team effort.  Even if one of us finishes,
the clinic wins.

Basically, a party of 3 to 4 strong minded, united individuals,
assisting one another will help to insure the success of the hike for
all of the individuals  However, seasoned hikers know that a twisted
ankle or a little bug can knock you out of the time zone for
completion ahead of winter weather.

I would like to open private dialog with you if you are interested.
Please visit me at leroyramirez.com. You may or may not like what you
find there, so after taking a peak into some of the corners of my mind
you may consider yourself fortunate that we'll never meet.  If, on the
other hand, you are as disturbed or blessed as I am (take your pick)
then shoot me a kite and maybe we can take a hike.

If you are interested, please remember, this opportunity has only just
presented itself, so I don't have all the answers, but we can find
them.

Slow