[pct-l] Panesitos Trail Snack

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 17:59:43 CST 2007

I am finding that brownies and  chocolates do not sit with me well on the
trail.  I can have a little, but  I need something else.

I have eaten panesitos (bread or  poor man's cookie) for years.  They are
very good.  So, now I am going  to adopt them for the trail.  The recipe is a
very old Mexican one  and is now an exclusive of the PCT hiking community.  It is
our  secret.  People will wonder why we hike so strongly and well out there,
while they have trouble getting out of the parking lot.

This will be a great trail  snack.  I am experimenting with adding to the
inside cinnamon and finely  chopped walnuts, pecans, and almonds.

Here is the recipe for hard core  backpackers only.  This is not for trail
wimps or hiking cry babies ---  “Oh, the trail is too steep.”  "Oh no, there is
no water at the  cache.”  “Oh my, the weather is turning bad.”  “Oh darn,
there are no  flat spots for my shelter.”  Etc., etc, etc.

 --- 3 cups of  flour
--- 2 tsp of baking powder
--- 1 cup of sugar or  Splenda
--- ¾ cup Crisco (original recipe used lard)
--- 1 tsp  salt
--- 1 egg
--- ¾ cup can milk

--- Mix dry ingredients until  mixture looks like corn meal.
--- Add cooled milk and eggs.
--- Work  into mixture until dough is wet.
--- Drop by tsp on to ungreased cookie  sheets.
--- Cook at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

The original recipe also added one  package of dry yeast dissolved in warm
water.  We do not use the lard or  yeast.

What I like so much about panesitos  is that they are so filling.  I don’t
remember how many cookies the above  recipe makes, but it will be enough to test
just fine.

Of course, you can experiment with  everything to make it like you desire.
But I promise you, this will be a  great snack on the trail.  It will assist a
would be thru hiker to trail’s  end and beyond.  You might just turn around
and Yo-Yo the  trail.