[pct-l] international trails

Saskia saskia.home at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 13 03:12:30 CST 2007

Hi Earl,

Trails around the world are different, but there are long trails that
are more or less maintained and used in the same way. In Sweden the
trails are maintained by a government body, for example... In the
Netherlands volunteer groups do most of the work. All these systems
differ, I guess.

Just a few in Europe:
- Nordkalottleden in Scandinavia, or its much easier little brother
the Kungsleden
- France has a huge system of trails, the big ones are either the GR5
going from the Netherlands to Nice on the Mediterranean. A trail that
really goes from village to village.
- Pyrenees: GR10 on the French side, GR11 on the Spanish side and the
High Route in between. All three go from Atlantic to Mediterranean in
a little less than a month.
- Via Alpina: crosses all the countries of the alps (France, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia)
A lot of the trails have been linked up to form extremely long trails
that noone really tries to hike in one season. They are the 'E-routes'.

In New Zealand they are working hard to make one continuous trail
from the North to the extreme south of the  country, called Te Araroa.

I'm sure there's more, but those come to my mind. If you want to read
about the Pyrenees or Sweden, you can check out my site www.xs4all.nl/
~darudiva. For the other one's: check google.
On trailjournals you can find a few of the international trails too.

Best wishes,
Saskia/Sauce