[pct-l] PCTA, snow baskets and socks

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 23:15:58 CST 2007

A quick check of the PCTA website shows the 2 California books selling for $19.95 each and the Ore/Wash book for $24.95, and the Data Book for $9.95. There is also a 10% discount for members which brings them down to $67.32 total, a bit less than the $75 mentioned.

  I used snow baskets on my Komperdells all the way through the Sierras, no problems at all, I was able to plant them deep with a firm thrust. Oh, also I never used crampons, lost them before I had a chance to try them, saw others using them 2 times.

  For socks, I started with Wal Mart's thin nylon dress socks as liner socks, about $4 for 3 pair, and Fox River wool blend hiking socks, I think about $6 a pair. I soon switched to Starter brand Coolmax blend low crew socks, $4 or $5 for 3 pair at Wal Mart and the dress socks, worn with Dunham lightweight low hiking shoes (lots of mesh). The socks were great and wore well, as good or better than the expensive ones some were wearing. My feet get cold easily but it was almost never a problem while hiking, there were only a couple of days they felt cold. I did often stop and wring out my socks after a stream crossing but mostly because I hated the squish squish. Never had problems from feet being wet all the time.

  Sugar Daddy

  Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
  http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

  Check out my yahoo blog for info and pictures of my PCT hike:
  http://360.yahoo.com/vichansonperu

  Check out my MSN blog for current and past photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/